"Don't be too perfect about this. It should be tousled and fun."
- Apply a root lifter such as Dallas Thickening Spray to damp hair, starting at the crown to create the most volume.
- Lift the hair as you blow dry so that the air penetrates from one side to the other and activates the root lifter.
- Wrap a section of hair around the iron, holding the hair lightly around the curling iron, not taut, to avoid crease marks.
- Make sure to hold the iron vertical and not horizontal. A horizontal hold will give you a traditional S pattern while holding it vertical creates that effortless wave. Leave the ends out.
- Curl the hair away from the face when curling around the hairline.
- Apply a strong hold hairspray to the hair, holding the can at a distance to avoid a hairspray ring.
- Shake out the hair to give it some effortless texture and to loosen up the curls.